Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Head Lumps

I don't get to brag about this often, but I have a remarkably unlumpy head. So unlumpy, in fact, that it's really a shame my hair is not a team player or I would keep the sides shaved. Unfortunately, when my hair gets much under an inch certain chunks of it turn a light blonde that makes me appear to have bald spots unless I rub chalk pastels in my hair, but that's another story.

I mention my lack of head lumps because this week's blog project was inspired by a swap Steph posted in the mail pals group for Artist Phrenology Charts. 

I made mine well over a week ago, but seeing her write up about the one she made resparked my interest in the whole ordeal.


As the starting point for today's project, this is the one I made for the swap.

I used an impromptu side selfie as reference to draw my own chart and painted it in gouache before using a very convoluted method of masking and x-acto knifing to fill in the little sections. It is a postcard sized piece, so I did not exactly have a lot of room to work, which is fitting since there never seems to quite be enough room in my skull for everything, anyhow. 

Since the project itself is rather personal in nature, I went for things that were symbolically important to me, but that wouldn't be weird for someone else to hang on their wall if they were so inclined. I also know there are a few people in the group who let their kids get the mail, so I decided to go for G just in case it ended up in their mailbox. 


My aim for today, instead of just making another chart, was to make a little stamp to use in my journal and probably in mail art and letters as well. A shorthand for "here's a random thought" or "this is what's on my mind today". 

I worked my design mostly off of the chart I had already drawn because I am lazy and see no reason to put the work in twice. I decided to extend the hair all the across the head and I toned down the chin because daaaaaang my chin is not that big. No idea how I missed that when I was doing the preliminary sketches. 

It occurred to me while I was tweaking the design for the stamp how much of an artistic shorthand I have developed for portraying myself. Even though this is so minimalist, and not really a great reflection of what I look like, I see it as being me because of a few quirks that show up in every drawing or doodle of myself. I think the quirks are more telling than anything I actually put as being in my head. 

The bridge of the nose (which head on I tend to draw like < > ) is because there is a running joke between my sister and I that the "family nose" is simply "broken". I broke mine when I was 3 running around the edge of a swimming pool in Las Vegas. 

Specifically using the left side of my face for profiles is because my beauty mark by my nose is on that side, as well as my eyebrow piercing and the part in my hair.  

Unkempt or bushy eyebrows (even though mine are usually in the general vicinity of "point" these days, not exactly "on point" but close enough to order takeout and have it delivered from there) are because my eyebrows are... noticeable. They wiggle around a lot and seem to make up about 70% of my facial expressions, and, when combined with well timed shrugs, 95% of my dance moves.

If I am adding color, an orange scribble suffices fine for hair, because in school a boy once tried to annoy me by telling me I wasn't a redhead because my hair was orange. I said "huh, yeah, guess so" and my hair has been orange ever since.

And that's it! That makes a me. 



After I was happy with the design (and scribbled some mess ups out in pink since I never remember to buy white out) I taped it to the window to trace the reverse. I had no choice since we're out of printer ink, but I think this is faster anyway.


Transferring with chalk was a huge fail. Way too fine of details. Chalk everywhere. 


The sharpie bleed through method always has my back though.


The biggest problem with minimalist stamps is being tidy while carving. It's damn near impossible to keep any carve marks from showing up when you stamp, so you have to make sure every single mark that might show up looks good. I did not know this when I first started carving and a lot of my early stamps looked like they were made by a maniac or someone with the patience of a gerbil on speed (they were).


Many proofs on this one. I tweaked little things each time until I figured I was as good as I was getting. I was a little disappointed with how sharp the bridge of the nose was, if someone was paying me to do this stamp I think I would have redone it. Since it is more or less a caricature of myself though, and that is something I exaggerate anyway, it isn't the end of the world.


The final stamp on a page in my journal. I sectioned the brain off and scribbled random thoughts in it. Oh the possibilities are endless. The color that could be added, the doodles and quotes and ideas and ink splatters. I can stamp ahead in my journals, write addresses in the head noggin, or put postage there... Yeah, I am going to get a lot of use out of this little lady.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure Google lets you put gifs in blog comments for quality control reasons or w/e, so I'm not going to bother, but *STANDING OVATION!* Really, highly impressive carving there, lady. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! heh, you can tell we've been internet pals for a while because I know exactly which gif you'da posted by your comment ^-^

      Delete