Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Mindless Mail Art

As I mentioned last week, inspiration has been hitting hard. These stamp and watercolor pop art inspired postcards have been the perfect palate cleanser for me while I am sitting listening to music and just trying to noodle a bit.

    
Such delightful simplicity.

The process is easy. Cut postcards down (or buy precut ones, I'm not the mail police), use a ruler and pencil to divide your space, stamp lightly, paint, stamp again.

The great thing is that a little wonkiness makes these. I didn't photograph the ruler step, so let's get on to the stamped cards.


I used stamps I have carved for past projects including the one I made back in the head lumps post a couple weeks ago. The cat and goldfish were both made for ATC's once upon a time and the angler fish has long been a staple in my faux cancellations and faux postage making supplies.


I used watercolors to just paint in the yellow. Pens or colored pencils would work too, but coloring isn't really my thing.

The other colors were added in the same sort of pattern. 


Restamping the images is the hardest part. You could get around this by using a clear stamp, but since my carved ones obviously aren't clear, I had to guess and pray. I am guessing the order I stamped these in is pretty dang obvious.

The nice thing about this project though, is it actually looks better if you do miss slightly. So getting in the general vicinity is pretty good enough.


Same process more or less on the goldfish. I went for a more blended look with the oranges. Looking at this picture again, I wish I had left that lower left one exactly as it was...


...but I didn't. The blue looks nice too though. 


I did the angler fish the same as the cat, the headlumps the same as the goldfish. On the back of each postcard I lightly stamped the stamp I used on the front to add a little interest. 

And that's it. Mindless mail art that leaves your head noggin free for other noodling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment