Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Goddamn Dishes

On October 31st, 2014, I lived in a one bedroom apartment with my husband a bit south of San Diego. There was a hostage situation involving midgets 2 blocks from our house and the dishwasher didn't work.

My sister started to poke at me that November was National Novel Writing Month and I had to do it. I had to. Had to do it. Had to. Being the good little sibling I am, I told my husband to ignore the dishes in the sink, I was going to write a novel.

So I sat down at my desk and started writing the first thing that came into my head, loosely based on a memoir I never wrote, a short story I never finished, a dream I had and some mysterious notes I found on my desk one afternoon that had been preceded by some serious shower vodka. I finished that novel, and then the next issue arose.

I did not want to edit.

So I wrote a new novel, that, conveniently, could allegedly be read before or after the first novel and either way would give new information and revelations, which sounds ambitious, but is a fancy way of making sure I had an excuse not to polish off the first novel, because naturally they both need to be open at once.

And I finished that novel.

And I still did not want to edit.

So I painted, did the dishes, went to the dentist, got help for my severe depression, completed EDMR therapy, started a garden, found some semblance of religion, taught myself to crochet, moved to another place where the dishwasher also did not work, started buying paper plates, started a blog (hello!) and then I started to rewrite and edit.

But there was another problem. I needed to write a sex scene and I could not get through it without sitting arm's length from my laptop and making a constant ewie eew eww ewwwwwww face. So I practiced for a week until it felt natural so I could go back and do those rewrites on my novels. Armed with all the knowledge I needed...

I started another novel.

I broke my personal record and hit 50 thousand words in two weeks and lost interest.

So I did the dishes, took a vacation, started the process of obtaining my very own child, wrote the end of the novel, hated the novel, started learning Dutch, deleted half the novel, got the child, moved to Oregon, made the child do the dishes in the dishwasher that actually works...

and finally finished the novel.

So where is this going, you may wonder. Did Met start a fourth novel? Is Met announcing that one of her books is out in the world for people to read? Are they looking for beta readers? Moving to the mountains to be a hermit? Promoting child labor?

No to all of those.

I started a fucking etsy.

Here's the link if you are interested. The link is here if you aren't interested too.

I'm going to try to get back into blogging. I lost this last month to NaNoWriMo, the four day hangover that I experienced after Halloween, some depression bullshit, setting up business stuff and apparently partnering with my friend at Pawsitive Pooch Training getting artwork done for their office space.

To thank the 5 people who read my blog and play favorites, until the 23rd of November, 2017 you can use the code "GODDAMNDISHES" to get 15% off your order. It's our secret. shhh.

All my productivity is just thinly veiled procrastination...

5 comments:

  1. I am fascinated that you have accomplished the writing of 3 (or 4?) novels. Do they have titles? Are any of your novels, or portions of them, on the internet/published? What are they about? I am a curious person.
    I love that you've started an ETSY shop! I have been considering the idea of doing an ETSY shop again, but I just don't feel confident. Around 2008 I had a shop for about 2 years and never sold a thing or got an inquiry. I have no marketing skills, and, at the time, barely any social media base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of now, 3 novels at second draft or beyond and a short memoir are my big writing accomplishments. I don't have anything on the internet or published yet, I am toying with the idea of putting my memoir and perhaps another project as either a chapbook or an e-book in the near-ish future, all publishing efforts have been very much "do it when I get around to it". Honestly, it kinda terrifies me.

      I am trying to think of a concise way to sum up my novels. They are dystopian, though not in the current dystopian trend, I am much more inspired by Phillip K. Dick and other classic dystopian authors. (It feels weird to have to specify that, but the amount of people who assume it is a YA dystopia ala Hunger Games is astounding. The novel I just finished is definitely completely totally NOT YA...) Regardless, they center around one man who would traditionally be considered the "big bad guy". They span over 10 years. Each novel follows and is told from a different character's perspective, so the first ended up with a very strong female lead and featured a lot of philosophy and surreal moments, the one I just finished redrafting follows a man (also a "bad guy") who is extraordinarily self destructive. The other follows the central character at a point where he would have been a "good guy". It was important to me to focus on a lot of uncomfortable issues, so they do deal with mental disorders, culturally ingrained misogyny, toxic masculinity, abusive relationships and all that goes along with those things. The government structure and setting are important to the novels, but the humanity of the characters is the main focus.

      Thank you for asking (: I love sharing about them because I am really happy with the premise and the whole thing, I tried really hard to write novels I wanted to read, but I try not to be a bore.

      I definitely was strong armed into starting an etsy. I wasn't planning on selling art but my close friend wanted art for her office space, then to be able to offer prints I made, and finally I realized at that rate I might as well set up an etsy. From others I have talked to it is a lot of luck and patience, as well as having a variety of stuff up. I really think you are a fantastic artist and should consider giving etsy another try, especially since you have a better social media base now. (Marketing is awful though, I originally started my associates in business and accounting so I know a bit about it, but I feel so bad self promoting I have a hard time with it! Also, sometimes I just can't bring myself to care that much. For the most part I just want to make art. The idea of people actually getting to enjoy my art is what makes etsy appealing to me way more than the idea of really making much money off it. If I can eventually fund my art supplies myself I'll be more than happy.)

      Delete
  2. OMG! I just wrote a 6 paragraph reply and clicked on the "Publish" button, and it all DISAPPEARED! ANGUISH! PISSED! FLABBERGASTED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that happened to me when I first replied to you. I accidentally hit sign out. Had to go cool off for a bit before I tried to retype everything. *shakes fist* dumb computer.

      Delete
  3. **incidentally** if anyone is trying to use my code I just realized it only works on the original items I had listed. So if you really wanted something else and want your deal message me on etsy (or wherever) before the 23rd and I'll give you your own code. I'm still learning all this crap. -_-

    ReplyDelete