Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Festive Ferrets

I wanted to do something new and actually make my own Christmas cards. I woefully underestimated how many I wanted to send and need to make another batch, but here's my design and process.

I've done a lot of fiddling with stencils lately and feeling ambitious I went for a 5 part stencil. The most I have ever done successfully before is 3.



It started with this sketch of a ferret in a santa hat I just kinda woke up to. I leave myself notes when I am half asleep a lot, usually they are a lot less clear.


Traced the different layers onto bits of plastic divider. No joke, this is my go to for stencils, it is so cheap and holds up so well.

Carefully (ha, not really, more like maniacally) cut out the details for each stencil.

Also spent 75 years cutting down postcard size bits of paper. I was not about to make envelopes and, to be honest, saving a few bucks on postage sounded nice too.


Layer one, dark brown. I brushed the acrylics on going for a more flat look.


Tan.


There was a white layer then a red layer. I missed getting a pic of the white because it really wasn't that exciting.


And finally, layer five, the black details. If I do make another batch, I am definitely doing the first four layers and drawing the black parts on with a sharpie by hand. The details were just a little too fine and the acrylic a little too blobby. But there's a 75% chance anyone I missed the first batch is just getting a store bought card or forgotten because I am pretty much the worst at sending out cards for any occasion and the fact I got 20 out is nothing short of a Christmas miracle.

2 comments:

  1. SO GREAT!!! LOVE!!! (no pressure or anything...) :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was a better person I would post shit like this *after* they had a chance to meander to their homes. ;)
      Your dinosaur butt picture you sent actually has a cameo in the bottom pic :O

      Delete