Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Canvas

When I was a teen and the only things I had to spend money on were comic books and art supplies, I painted on canvas a lot. I went through this ridiculous abstract phase, not that abstract is inherently bad, but boy-howdy mine sure was. Those masterpieces have since been painted over (save for one that had actual effort put in) and besides that, I just don't work on canvas very much. 

But lately I have had this day dream of the perfect commission. There are these GIANT, taller than me, canvas at my local art store. My dream is that some devastatingly good looking person will commission a life-sized black and white nude portrait of themselves that I can do in oil over a gorgeously splattered rainbow on white acrylic background and they'll pay me like 3 grand plus supplies and I'll be able to afford sushi and perhaps a shelf for my art crap. 

This has, of course, gotten me really excited about the idea of working on canvas, so this week I did a bit because I need to list more art in my etsy. Really, I must. This is for my business. 


Playing it safe on canvas board, I did an actually good abstract in the same technique as last week's blog post because I was a bit gutted about cutting it up. 


Procrastinating a commission, I did a similar style, but without really mixed media-ing the tiles. It's just plain acrylic. Also on canvas board. 


On canvas paper, the commission I was supposed to do. I actually had to clean my desk off entirely for it so I could fit both my easel and laptop on it. I work on and off on canvas paper, but I find really most my art I either do in my sketchbook or on bristol/mixed media board to cut into mail art, unless I have a commission, of course. I rarely really do fine art "just because".



I decided that my easel being out was a good enough reason to do a painting on stretched canvas. Which is always a serious delight to me, as is any chance to paint a topless lady. The canvas was an odd size, 12" x 16", so I decided to work in landscape for once. Originally I wanted to try my hand at a palette knife painting, but I settled for just going a bit more impressionist than usual. And I love it so much. I want to paint a thousand more canvas in this style. I am thinking I desperately need to rope some friends into modeling for me because I'm still digging through my old self portraits from when I did photography and needed to iron out lighting issues for inspiration.

So, those are my canvas of the last week. This coming week is the start of InCoWriMo again, so expect something mail related next post...

4 comments:

  1. Two things: 1) That cat looks *exactly* like my hateful bastard outdoor cat! Even down to the position it's in! And 2) Your self portrait is so freaking beautiful! (See your nice colored shading?! That's the shit I can't do! (Can't: as in: never try, cuz I don't know how, and am scared to fuck it up. but we've had that conversation... ;-)
    Such bold work, and so nice to be excited about making stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) I used to think this was a distinctive look for a cat, but this is like my second commission of this exact cat with many reports of it being everyone else's exact cat. 2) Thank you. And again, you're seeing my actually good portraits. you have no idea how long it took me to get good at color, and I still have no idea what I am doing, the only difference is now I keep going until I don't hate it. except the ones I do hate, which just never see the light of the internet. so. you know how it is.

      Delete
  2. Love the range of these pieces. Great work. The cat portrait makes me smile. That's how my cat looks just before she attacks. . especially if she's laying down like that and I try and pick her up. I have to make sure to put on the pot holder gloves first! (Fortunately she's only a beast if you try to pick her up when she's laying down). Looking forward to seeing what you're up to next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love the idea of pot holder gloves for your feisty kitty. I am starting to think I need a pair of those cut proof gloves for my ferret. He gets into play play play mode and there is no off switch (and his battery seems to last forever...)

      Delete