Wednesday, April 11, 2018

100 days of whatever

There's this trendy thing that pops up on Instagram yearly where half my feed picks a thing to do for 100 days and does it. I thought it was pretty dumb when it started last year, but by the end of it felt bad for not playing along. (So much for avoiding peer pressure.) 

I decided I'm doing 100 days of watercolor. Although, at nine days in, I also have a really nice start to 100 days of cupcakes and cheeseburgers. 

Actually, yeah, let me just take a second to pretend I am a food blogger and acknowledge my current cheeseburger fetish.


Look at that beauty. I'm not going to be one of those obnoxious vegan-ish types who claims that a meat-eater wouldn't notice the difference. Because really, it's made of beans and rice and oats and quinoa, there's a fricking difference. But I will say, as someone who really loved cheeseburgers before becoming allergic to dairy and then becoming too neurotic to eat meat, it's really good. Oh, and it's sturdy enough that you best believe I will be popping some on a grill this summer with my carrot hotdogs or whatever the hell bullshit I am into in a few months. 

Anyway, now that that's out of my system. Here are the watercolor things I've done that I like so far.

In addition to focusing on watercolor, I am also focusing on not using grids/ any other high precision techniques. I do my sketch. Add my paint. Be on my way. It's a lot faster and less stressful and also more beneficial to actually brushing up my "look at a thing, art the thing" skills.

Hair is another soft focus for these.

I was so happy with this rose. I didn't have a lot of time/energy this day and flowers usually just muck my shift up.

This was the view out my first apartment and it cracks me up because it looks like the nicest apartment ever. In reality, this was the place where I woke up one morning, went to check on the lizard and found that ants had crawled out the electrical socket under this very window, dismembered the crickets we had bought and were dragging their severed eyeballs back into the outlet. They also didn't keep their big ol' Eucalyptus trees trimmed properly so we got a knock on our door at 10pm from the upstairs neighbor informing us a branch had fallen and dented the shit out of our car. Also. There wasn't assigned or enough parking, so we got back at one am from seeing a movie and had to just spend the rest of the night driving out through the desert until people started going to work. I could go on. This shoebox of an apartment was a little bit of a heckhole, but we were just married and it was in our price range, so it was our heckhole. 

And here's the view from the lower balcony at our current place. Which is a lot less of a heckhole. 

So that's been what I have been doing. Daily poetry for National Poetry Writing Month, Watercolor a day, too many cheeseburgers and cupcakes, a stupid amount of interviews. Trying to smoosh replying to letters in that list. Maybe I'll do a letter a day once the Poetry thing is over.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with 100 days. If I get 3 of anything, I'm proud. (I could do 100 days of snarky remarks maybe..but once I started trying it would probably take all the fun out of it and I'd quit.)
    And ps: I don't know if I did the mail tags right. I've never seen one either, and just made what something I thought would be cool to get. I sent one of my extra (practice) ones to a pen pal who had (obviously) never heard of them. She wrote me back and said, "Um...what do I do with this?" It never occurred to her to flip it over and read/answer the damn questions on it, so it sort of defeated the purpose. (You can pass it on to another pen pal if you want, but I'm guessing she threw mine out.) I don't know what a flip book is. I might have to research and send you one. But first I owe you a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck is appreciated. I definitely have a chip on my shoulder about daily projects, so I went with something I already do *most* days. Some peoples' projects are so niche or ambitious...

      HA. I have gotten tons of pen pal tuck-ins that I turned over and squinted at and never could figure out what were. Never once did I think to write back and ask "wtf is this?" I usually just make a little "hmmmm" noise, stick it back in the envelope and shove it in the drawer of mail I am never actually going to file... (I owe you a letter too, how did we manage to get two back and forths going at once?)

      Delete