Friday, April 6, 2018

Has it been a year?

April 5th, 2017 I pulled out a sketchbook with a few half-assed drawings and shopping lists in it, tore those out and started actually keeping a sketchbook/low key art journal for the first time since high school.

Now, a year later, I filled my third (fourth, if we want to acknowledge one of the books was done both fronts and backs).

It was a trip flipping through all the pages last night. There, in sloppy sketches, short notes, little pictures, was the full last year. Roadtrips, early character sketches, pie journaling, child obtainment, court process, the great 2017 migration, bad days and good days and holidays. It felt impossible at the time for me to even finish the first sketchbook, I'm really happy now I started then.

Anyway, here's a few highlights of this sketchbook.


No cover-art this go around, save for this derpy lil dragon. No title either. Just straight into it.


I did mostly watercolor again, but I used it in a lot of different ways and styles.


I caught a few memories that had been floating around in my head.


And started a project illustrating and recording my dreams. 


The dream paintings, like everything else, didn't stick to one style either. This is my favorite one of them, I think, for how understated it is.


I drew/ painted/ carved a fair amount of skulls. "Memento Mori" was probably written/painted in here more than any other phrase. I spent a lot of time meditating on the transient nature of life and detachment from self the last few months. Which has somewhat helped in my creating, as a person paralyzed by the idea of perpetuality, it feels a pressure off to live in the moment and not focus on always attempting to make art of eternal great importance. Ironically, in accepting this, I have created more artwork that I think I will still find important years from now.


And sometimes, when I was not busy basking in the comfort of my mortality, I found time to draw some dumb shit that makes the kid laugh.


More dreams. I liked this one a lot, very loose and dream-like.


I took more time to paint from life as well. The kid plays some beautiful music and I sit on his floor to paint a lot and just spend time in proximity of each other. It's nice. He lets me pick out sheet music for him to learn, which is an endless source of amusement.


We even took a trip to the park and I painted the little coffee shop building there. I had no idea I would love painting buildings so much.


Still at the park, a quick study of the ground and the sky.


The last page. 
I've been thinking a lot lately about the little red pump by the pond in my grandparents' backyard. I would spend so much time playing with the pump, using a cottage cheese container to pour water in and pumping my arms frantically to try to get the water flowing. I felt like that pump this last week, like I just needed some water and faith and flailing to get myself going and where I wanted to be again. And that maybe I need to accept that sometimes the pump will dry out again and I'll need to start over again with my cottage cheese container and flailing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Met. There's so much depth here, it's hard to take it all in in one sitting. I love the diversity and range of your talent. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hope you're enjoying your weekend as well(:

      Delete