Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Ghosts of Hobbies Past- Books!

I'm cleaning my office out currently for a myriad of reasons. The biggest one being oh dear god why do I have so much crap, where did it all come from and what sort of lunatic am I to have a box full of pieces for repairing dolls when I have never once repaired a doll in my entire life and haven't even done assemblage art for half a decade. I'm doing my best to goodwill and/or garbage the crap I know I'm not going to use, but it's the ghosts that get me. 

What to do with all the really neat things I made that never found homes? Hitting especially hard today is bookbinding. I love bookbinding but had to cut back on it precisely because little journals and things kept piling up with no one to take them (well, I'm sure someone would take them but I'm not crazy about paying postage to give away things I calloused my fingers making). Here's a few choice bits I found today. 

Tiny stab stitched books! More importantly, a little container of papers cut to the perfect size for this project. As I recall, these were perfect for slipping into outgoing mail as they were thin and light and pretty quick to assemble. I'll probably cut down any other weird papers I find to this size and restart this project. I love that the sample I have made uses a piece cut from blind contour practice I was doing. YES. That's the way to re-art things.

A somewhat close to paperback novel sized arty book journal thing. It's a hard ish cover with wrap around binding and stenciled throughout with a plastic keyboard cover deal. Along with a tiny pink book beneath. 

These tiny pocket notebooks, coptic bound and cute. 

mmmmmm. I am very very happy with my binding on this one. Not to brag but my stitching here is delightful. 

And finally, prototypes from one of my more ambitious binding projects, arty books that are inspired by flowers. They are also coptic bound and pretty dang cool if I say so myself. Some of the later ones I did turned out even better (and actually found homes). 

In all likelihood, these are going back in the closet where I found them because I still have no idea what I want to do with them, except that now I would very much like to pull out my thread and get binding again. I guess it's not really too early to start on Christmas gifts for this year...  

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try binding books, but it seemed too daunting a task. Plus, do I need another item to add to my list of obsessions? I love your books. They are beautiful. Especially the rainbow colored one. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I understand not needing more hobbies (obviously!) I have to say book binding is not nearly as daunting a task as it looks like. It is a little fiddly with learning the stitches for coptic binding, but you really don't need to buy any special supplies or anything to get started (I still use an oversized thumbtack as an awl) and since you already knit, you likely won't have major issues with tension, which seems to be one of the big hurdles for bookbinding.

      That being said, if you try it you very likely will become obsessed, so do proceed with caution. (:

      Delete